Thursday, November 13, 2008

Beginnings

(this post originally posted to my blog at alt.com)

Aug 19, 2007 12:18 am

Well, I finally dood it. I got the note. I got the get-out-of-jail-free card. I got the news and it's pretty good, actually.

I received permission to start hormones.

I'm sure 90% of the other t-girls on this site who might be reading this shrugged and said: "So what? Started mine years ago!" Cool. Uh, but for me it's like someone just opened the windows in a dark room onto a sunny day. Or turned on an exhaust fan and a room-full of dark smoke I hadn't paid much attention to suddenly was whisked outside and I can see, finally.

Finally.

There are a lot of things that led to this and the synergistic effect has been straining the seams of my psyche. Two counselors, Effexor XR and a whole buncha soul-searching notwithstanding, it's been a long, twisty road and a tiny steering wheel, dammit. But the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back?

My Husband Betty.

If you haven't read this gem, this finely polished jewel of autobiographical/sociological genius, then you must spend your makeup money on it next paycheck. No kiddin'. I've never been more serious.

Some of us came from broken marriages or relationships wherein the GG couldn't handle the women we really are. For those ladies I can only say: I wish you could have had this book in your hands when you told her. Then you could have handed it to her and said: "Read this. It'll help." Oh, yeah.

The author, Helen Boyd (a nom-de-plume) is unquestionably one of the most determined, clear-sighted, compassionate genetic females to ever walk this green Earth. (Betty, you lucky girl!) This is a floor-to-ceiling examination of transgendered people and issues with no BS, no salacious content and a firm commitment to the principle that we were all born to be who we are and no government, no religion, no antiquated social construct can change that incontrovertable fact and they may as well not even try. Instead: try to understand us. And she does, she does, she does.

Thank you, Helen, for understanding us and for giving me the final, necessary push in the direction I've been resisting for almost half a century. Better late than never, I guess. And the rest of you that read this? Read that little book. If it changes your life even a fraction of what it's changed mine, it'll be worth it. And wish me luck and love in the Light of the Goddess, y'all.

Michelle

No comments: